Inventory Unit Detail
2014 KTM 500 EXC
Call for Price
The 500 XC-W is one of the most powerful enduro machines of its class. Combining low weight and high displacement, high-tech SOHC 4-stroke technology is the right choice for all who are looking for maximum performance, combined with playful handling.
- Engine: Developed for tough enduro racing, the SOHC engine with 510.4cc is distinguished by an extremely compact design, easy maintenance and an excellent durability at a minimal weight. Together with the Keihin EFI system, they provide unrivaled enduro specific performance and rideability.
- Oil Circuit: The engine features two oil pumps and a common oil circuit. A pressure pump provides reliable lubrication to the crankshaft, piston, counter balance shaft and valve train. In addition, it ensures the cooling of the ignition and lubrication of the clutch. A scavenger pump draws oil from the crankcase and uses it to lubricate the transmission.
- Counter Balancer: In order to balance the mass-forces, the engine uses a counter balance shaft which doubles as a water pump drive.
- Pistons: For 2014, the lightweight, forged bridged box-type piston has received the high-performance piston rings of the 450 SX-F.
- Cylinder Head: The cylinder head is equipped with a single overhead camshaft which has been lightened by 10 percent for 2014. It activates two titanium intake valves and two steel exhaust valves. The weight optimized valve train leads to lower friction for improved performance as well as less engine braking action. Also, an optimized cylinder head gasket now guarantees increased durability in extreme conditions. The automatic decompression mechanism has also been strengthened to further optimize durability.
- Crankshaft: The crankshaft with a stroke of 72.0 mm and ultra-lightweight con rods are made by Pankl from special, high-tensile strength steel. They have a plain bearing in the big end. The previous needle bearing is replaced with two force-fitted XCF-W shells that run directly on the crank pin. This design enhances the engine's durability, allowing to lengthen the crankshaft service interval.
- Engine Management System (EMS): The Engine Management System (EMS) by Keihin with electronic fuel injection and 42mm throttle body ensures a spontaneous response and maximum engine performance. An oil-cooled 196 W AC alternator provides sufficient energy for the fuel injection, lighting and other electrical loads. With an optional map-select switch from the KTM PowerParts program, EMS allows selecting different engine characteristics. In addition, the optional User-Setting Tool allows to readout engine data with a laptop and change the ignition and injection mappings with a few mouse clicks.
- Airbox: The redesigned airbox offers maximum protection of the air filter against soiling while ensuring maximum airflow for top performance. The new airbox covers are produced in a 2-component process and with new inmold graphics. The left cover's mount and fitment have been improved further to allow an even quicker change of the Twin Air filter which is held more securely with an optimized latch. The filter can still be changed without using tools. In addition, two extra flaps on the cover allow to secure it with bolts if desired.
- Starter: The 500 XC-W is equipped with kickstarters as well as electric starters as standard. The electric starter is well protected behind the cylinder.
- Transmission: The proven 6-speed gear box is distinguished by easy and precise shifting.
- DDS Clutch: Optimized for 2014, the single-piece basket of the DDS (Damped Diaphragm Steel) clutch is machined from solid high-tensile steel in one piece together with the primary drive gear. This process guarantees unbeatable reliability and contributes to the narrow engine width due to its compact rivet-less design. Additionally, this construction allows the use of thin steel linings which also contribute to the compact clutch dimensions. The diaphragm spring makes it possible to implement an additional rubber damping system inside the clutch hub, guaranteeing reliability for the transmission and good traction. In addition, a stronger inner hub further increases stability. Finally, the hydraulic clutch mechanism by Brembo in conjunction with the diaphragm spring guarantees a very light operation and good controllable modulation of the clutch.
- Triple Clamps: The lower triple clamp has been redesigned for optimum accommodation of the new front fender. Thanks to its new contour and mounting with two front and two bottom bolts, the new fender has a lot more stability.
- Swingarm: Designed using the latest in calculation and simulation software, the design and wall thickness of the cast aluminum swingarm have been optimized for minimum weight at optimum stiffness and precisely defined flexibility. For 2014, the engineers have revised the chain guide to increase reliability while lowering the weight.
- Wheels: High-quality, CNC-machined hubs are standard on all KTM wheels. The now black coated spokes increase corrosion resistance and center the new, extremely stable, 7050 aluminum rims from GIANT. Dunlop GEOMAX MX51 tires - provide excellent traction, very precise directional control and a long service life.
- Frame: The modern and lightweight frame design made of high-strength chromoly steel sections combines maximum longitudinal stiffness with optimum torsional rigidity. It guarantees easy handling and precise cornering, but also outstanding stability. In 2014, the frame of the 4-stroke weighs even less thanks to thinner walled down tubes. In addition, the braces that connect the cylinder head were optimized. This means all new frames not only have a striking new color but also set the clear benchmark with respect to weight and stability.
- Suspension/Damping: The first rate WP Suspension elements have been further improved for 2014. Specially designed for enduro riding and in some models with an optimized tuning, they ensure maximum traction and plenty of comfort. Of course, compression and rebound damping can be adjusted to the track conditions and the rider's preferences with a twist of the wrist - the rear monoshock has separate high and low speed adjustments.
- Brakes: High-Tech Brembo brakes have always been standard equipment on KTM offroad bikes, and combined with the lightweight Wave discs, they are the ultimate solution in braking technology. In 2014 the XC-W models gain a new master cylinder with a new reservoir, a smaller piston diameter and a new lever with optimized kinematics. Combined with new sinter brake pads (Toyo B169), this makes for another perceptible improvement of front brake performance and action.
- Handlebar: All XC-W models are fitted with the super strong, tapered Neken handlebar made of high tensile strength aluminum alloy. The proven standard KTM mount allows to fix the handlebar in four different positions. 2014 sees the introduction of newly-developed hand guards made of 2-component polymer for more effective hand protection.
- Graphics: New, classy graphics with clear lines visually underscore the exacting standards of what KTM deems a true, cutting-edge offroad bike.
- Bodywork: Shrouds, airbox cover, front fender, headlight fairing and the headlight have all been restyled for 2014. The KTM designer's focus was to achieve complete ergonomic harmony between rider and bike for a more stable ride and effortless movement on the bike. Adding to the improvements is a high-quality seat foam core to maximize comfort and durability. With the new front fender, the designers omitted ribbing on the inside to reduce mud and dirt buildup while increasing rigidity over the previous component by 50%.
- Design: 1-cylinder 4-stroke engine, water-cooled
- Displacement: 510.4 cm³ (31.147 cu in.)
- Bore: 95 mm (3.74 in.)
- Stroke: 72 mm (2.83 in.)
- Starter: Electric starter/kick starter
- Engine lubrication: Pressure circulation lubrication with two rotary pumps
- Primary transmission: 32:76
- Final drive: 14:50 (13:50)
- Cooling: Water, permanent circulation of coolant by water pump
- Clutch: DDS Multidisc clutch in oil bath / hydraulically activated
- Ignition: Contactless controlled fully electronic ignition with digital ignition adjustment
- Frame: Central tube frame made of chrome molybdenum steel tubing
- Fork: WP Suspension Up Side Down 4860 MXMA PA
- Shock absorber: WP Suspension PDS 5018 DCC
- Suspension travel Front: 300 mm (11.81 in.)
- Suspension travel Rear: 335 mm (13.19 in.)
- Brake system: Disc brakes, brake calipers on floating bearings
- Brake discs - diameter Front: 260 mm (10.24 in.)
- Brake discs - diameter Rear: 220 mm (8.66 in.)
- Chain: 5/8 x 1/4 in.
- Steering head angle: 63.5 deg.
- Wheelbase: 1,482±10 mm (58.35±0.39 in.)
- Ground clearance unloaded: 345 mm (13.58 in.)
- Seat height unloaded: 970 mm (38.19 in.)
- Total fuel tank capacity, approx.: 8.5 L (2.25 US gal.) Super unleaded (ROZ 95/RON 95/PON 91)
- Weight without fuel, approx.: 111 kg (245 lb.)
- Engine Type
- 1-cylinder 4-stroke engine, water-cooled
- 510.4 cm³ (31.147 cu in.)
- Bore and Stroke
- 3.74 x 2.83 in. (95 x 72 mm)
- Water, permanent circulation of coolant by water pump
- Contactless controlled fully electronic ignition with digital ignition adjustment
- Front Suspension
- WP Suspension Up Side Down 4860 MXMA PA
- Front Brakes
- Disc brakes, brake calipers on floating bearings
- Rear Suspension
- WP Suspension PDS 5018 DCC
- Rear Brakes
- Disc brakes, brake calipers on floating bearings
- Dry Weight
- 245 lb. (111 kg)
- Fuel Capacity
- 2.25 US gal. (8.5 L)
- 58.35±0.39 in. (1,482±10 mm)
- Ground Clearance
- 13.58 in. (345 mm)
- Seat Height
- 38.19 in. (970 mm)
- Final Drive
- 5/8 x 1/4 in. Chain